Tamiya, 3T Cgo Trk (Opel Blitz), 1/35
Just a quick update of my early model 1939 Polish Invasion Opel Blitz.
Michael, thank you for the vote of confidence. It's been well over a decade since I've last done any serious modeling and this vehicle interior served as a test bed for not only finding out if I have any painting skills left after such a hiatus, but also a chance to work with some of the many new modeling products that are now available.
If anyone is currently building this kit or has it on their radar you can check out my build progress on the 1939 Poland campaign hosted by Hudson29
Below another interior pic which will, when completed, be virtually unseen through the small cab windows. Oh well! It was good practice.
Well, this project has been nothing but a series of firsts for me. Below I've decided the build and detailing have gone on long enough and that it is now time for paint. This is the most photo etch brass, resin aftermarket and scratch building I've done to date and I can't procrastinate anymore or I'll miss yet another campaign!
Headlight covers are made from one of my favorite modeling materials - wine bottleneck lead foil as is the front window flap added to the Mig
resin tarp. Early invasion photos show virtually all vehicles with some sort of headlight cover in a wide range of materials. These will be painted to represent a heavy russet leather unit made rendition with material I figured would be readily available to a Cavalry unit and easily fabricated by the organization's saddlers and leather workers.
Well, now it's time to paint and my main reason for procrastinating all along. It's been a long, long time. My airbrush hasn't seen the light of day since the late 90's and it's still in the original box from 1979 when I purchased it as a teenager determined to be the next Shepard Paine. Oh...and I'm going to try and use Vallejo Primer
. I've never primed before and I've only ever worked with enamels and oils. This acrylic stuff is new to me and I'm a bit apprehensive at this point.
Below - grit my teeth and got a coat of primer down, spattered a bit and realized I need to thin a little more, but the primer leveled out beautifully and looks flawless when dry.
After much YouTubing
and forum surfing I decided to try the black and white method using this time Tamiya
acrylics, white obviously, and also a first time use of this paint in an airbrush.
...more progress pics coming soon.