by: Joe Rion [ ]
Originally published on:
These tracks are one of those extra kits you can add on to improve your build. The Sd.Kfz 251 was made through several models and variations with several types of track being made over the war years, with this review dealing with the late style tracks.
The tracks come in an open end box with color instructions on the back. The kit has two sprues of track pads and eight sprues of tracks. All molding looks good and there is no flash present. The tracks all have a faint outline of a knockout pin on the flat side. The pads all have a raised line of the joint showing.
As I had started a build on a half-track I needed a set of tracks to replace the rubber band tracks that came with the kit. I knew I had this set in my stockpile for use so I dug them out and read the instructions on the back of the box. The assembly was straight forward; glue the track pads in place, cut the track from the sprue and push them together. Now, that may seem easy, but the process is not that simple.
The track segments are brittle and break pretty easily. I resorted to cutting them off the sprues with a Xuron clipper. I broke three tracks out of the first eight I removed from the sprue. You can't trim the edge unless the track is placed just right or it will break. The track segments are made so that when assembled they snap together one after another. That seems simple and works sometimes.
I had trouble with the track segments breaking when you try and push them together. The segments that I was able to get together were easily dislodged and did not line up very well. So, out of the first sixteen links around seven were broken. The broken links were glued together for a flat run on the ground.
Another problem I encountered is that the pin that allows the track to pivot is worn down when a track is slipped over it. The pin will not allow the tracks to stay straight, and under a small bit of pressure it slips off. I tried this again after waiting two weeks to see if there was anything I could do better, at which time I finally gave up on this product.
I was unable to get this product to work for me. I could be at fault here, or it could be the product, although I see no way for these to work right unless the track segments are more flexible. I have seen some builds with these tracks online so I assume some builders can make them work. If anyone has used these tracks I would like to hear from you and your opinion.